Appropriate Use of Assessments: An Introduction
About this training
Welcome to Appropriate Use of Assessments: An Introduction, a professional development opportunity designed specifically for educators, school improvement teams, and school administrators.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
The overall purpose of this course is to provide the foundational knowledge and skills needed to use assessments appropriately in the classroom, school, and district. This course includes many opportunities for interaction and personal engagement including exploration, journaling, and case studies. Please complete all parts of this course to get the most out of this training opportunity.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN
- Define data literacy and explain its importance
- Identify the differences between assessment data and contextual data
- Categorize items as either assessment data or contextual data
- Recognize the risks of overlooking contextual data
- Define frequently encountered assessment terminology
- Differentiate between three types of assessments--norm-referenced, criterion-referenced, and diagnostic
- Explain the appropriate uses for each assessment type
- Identify key characteristics of formative and summative assessments
- Differentiate between formative and summative assessments
- Identify limitations of summative assessments